Are you suspecting that your foundation is sinking? Do you know the most common signs of a sinking foundation? If not, then you came to the right place. In this article, you will learn more about the signs of sinking foundation and how to resolve it.
Signs of Sinking Home Foundation
Some signs are not necessarily as obvious or visible as others. However, if you tend to notice any of the signs we have listed below, then you might be experiencing problems with your foundation.
- Hard to open and sticking doors and windows
- Drywall cracks above windows and doors
- Foundation cracks
- Sloping floors
- Exterior brick veneer stair step cracks
- Moldings and cabinet countertops pulling away from the wall where they are mounted
- Popping and creaking noises in your home because of structural stress
- Tilting or leaning chimneys
Reasons Why Your Foundation is Sinking
There are actually several factors which can lead to the sinking of your foundation. Soil conditions can be one of your suspects. Below are some of the most common causes of a sinking foundation.
- Rotting roots of the tree that can cause soil voids
- Clay soil expanding and contrasting because of moisture content
- Soft sandy soil conditions
How Far Your Foundation Will Sink
The moment your foundation starts to sink, it might only sink an inch. But, the worst-case scenario is that there are other houses that have sunk thirteen inches deep.
How Can Professional Foundation Repair Services Help Fix Sinking Foundations of Houses?
Most professional foundation service providers install piers in order to remedy or fix a sinking foundation. Piers that are mostly helical are very heavy steel pipes and have round plates that can help support the foundation. These piers are drilled hydraulically right into the ground in order to bear on a solid soil or a rock, typically at depths of about fourteen to twenty-eight deep. These piers are then attached to your foundation in order to solve your foundation problems.
Things that Can Possibly Happen if You Do Not Fix Your Sinking Foundation
Letting a home foundation sink will definitely cause more severe problems that could last for a much longer period of time. If your foundation is sinking, your home structure’s overall stability is surely questionable and to make the story short, the structural integrity of your house will not be reliable anymore. It can even lead to these issues:
- Trusses begin to pop as well as rip apart
- Your siding will stretch
- Bricks and masonry can crack
- Electrical wiring installed in your framing will start to tear due to stretching
- Shingles can begin to stretch which causes leaking roofs
- Plumbing pipes can easily break
To sum it all up, a foundation that is sinking can cause more damages to your home. The moment you begin to notice the signs we have mentioned above if you’re suspecting that your foundation might be compromised, then make sure to call in a professional and reliable foundation repair service provider such as Foundation Repair Lewisville TX and they will certainly help you so you can have a reliable overall structure of your building.